If a defective road caused my accident, can I sue the government?

A: You can sue the governmental body in charge of maintaining a roadway if your bike accident occurred because the road was dangerous as a result of poor maintenance, defective construction, poor signage or other unsafe conditions. There are, however, greater limits on suing the government than a person or business. California law generally gives you two years after an injury to file suit against a person or business. To sue the state government, however, you must provide written notice of your claim within six months and then wait another six months before filing the lawsuit to give the government time to try to settle your case.