Bay Area Bike Riding Tips
Tips from Our Experienced San Jose Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Our combination of sea, sky and sun makes the Bay Area a cyclist’s dream. At Needham Kepner & Fish LLP, we live and work in this area, and we bike here too.
As avid cyclists, our San Jose bicycle accident lawyers know the terrible toll that bicycle accidents take on riders and their families. We would rather prevent accidents than litigate them, so below, we offer tips on how to avoid bicycle accidents.
Bike Riding Tips in San Jose and the Bay Area
- Heads up: Always wear a properly fitted bicycle helmet. California law requires helmets for cyclists younger than 18. Regardless of your age, wearing appropriate headgear decreases the risk of a traumatic brain injury. Protect your brain. Wear a helmet.
- Lighten up: More cyclists are killed between 5 p.m. and 9 p.m. than during any other period, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The California Vehicle Code requires cyclists who are riding at night to have proper lights and reflectors. Also, wear light-colored, reflective clothing. Make sure you can see and be seen.
- Ride ready: Whether you are heading out on Camden Avenue or the Los Alamitos Creek Trail, do a gear check before you go. Be sure your brakes work properly and your wheels are secure. Mechanical failures cause accidents.
- Watch the road: Be aware of dangerous road conditions. Catching a wheel can cause serious bike accidents, especially at higher speeds. Hazardous road conditions include:
- Improperly graded or resurfaced roads
- Built-in hazards, such as street grates
- Construction zones
- Intersections known to be dangerous, such as Brokaw Road, just east of First Street
Cycling is a sport, a hobby and a great activity to share with friends and family. But you need to stay alert so you won’t be injured, especially in an accident with an automobile. If you are involved in an injury accident, our attorneys can help.
Call Our Qualified San Jose Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Needham Kepner & Fish LLP serves clients injured in bicycle, motorcycle and other vehicle accidents throughout the Bay Area.
To schedule a free initial consultation, contact Needham Kepner & Fish LLP today online or at (408) 716-1668. We handle injury cases on a contingent fee basis, which means that you pay us nothing unless you recover compensation.