Hurt in a Motorcycle Accident?
Let a Trusted San Jose Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Help You Secure Compensation
Motorcyclists face increased risk of serious injury on the roads. In addition to dangerous roadways, motorcyclists face extra hazards. Motorcycles are relatively small and easy to overlook by other drivers. While metal framing and seatbelts protect other motorists, motorcyclists remain much more exposed. After a motorcycle accident, you need an experienced attorney on your side to help you get the compensation you need for recovery. A San Jose motorcycle accident lawyer from our firm is ready to discuss your potential case with you.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Like all motorists, motorcyclists face the usual roadway dangers. This includes dangerous road conditions, inclement weather and other drivers. Motorcyclists face other, more specific hazards too. The most common causes of motorcycle accidents involve:
- Negligence of other drivers. Motorcycles are much smaller than other vehicles on the road. They are easy to lose in a blind spot or to overlook altogether. Motorcycle accidents often result from other drivers failing to keep track of where a motorcyclist is on the road. Drivers who change lanes without signaling or make left turns without looking for oncoming traffic also threaten motorcyclists.
- Lane splitting. Motorcyclists can legally drive between two lanes of traffic, or lane split in California. A motorcycle safety tip for drivers is to understand California lane splitting laws. If a driver swerves or attempts to change lanes while a motorcyclist is between two cars, an accident may occur.
- Defective motorcycle parts. In some cases, a faulty motorcycle part may cause an accident. A common reason for this involves repair shop error or negligence. A defective part or an insufficient repair service are extremely dangerous to motorcyclists.
- Poor roadways. Roadway debris and potholes are much more dangerous to motorcyclists than other motorists. Hitting an oil spill, a pothole or a large piece of debris can send a motorcycle flying.
Injuries Caused by Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcyclists face extra risk of injury on the road. What amounts to a fender-bender in the case of a two-car collision often translates to a serious accident for motorcyclists. In fact, 80% of all reported motorcycle accidents result in injuries or death.
This increased risk is because motorcyclists’ bodies are much more exposed than other motorists’. In a vehicle, drivers and passengers are protected by the body of the car, seatbelts and airbags. What separates a motorcyclist from the pavement, however, is a helmet and his or her clothing. As a result, our San Jose motorcycle accident attorneys often see the following injuries:
- Traumatic brain injury. Wearing a helmet is one of California’s motorcycle laws. It can mean the difference between life and death. However, the impact of a collision can still affect the brain. Motorcyclists can sustain internal swelling, bleeding and traumatic brain injury (TBI).
- Broken bones and fractures. With minimal safety gear and added exposure, motorcyclists often come away from crashes with broken bones and fractures.
- Road rash. When motorcyclists make contact with the road, the force and speed at which they are traveling can cause the road to burn through their clothes. Any exposed skin which meets the ground will get seriously burned and scraped. Dirt and debris may also embed into the skin.
- Spinal cord injury. Spinal cord injuries are common when motorcyclists get thrown from their bikes. This type of injury may cause permanent paralysis and chronic pain.
How a San Jose Motorcycle Accident Attorney From Our Firm Can Help You Secure Compensation
A motorcycle accident lawyer in San Jose will know how to investigate your claim. Our approach to building a strong case includes compiling evidence and statements about the incident. Then, we determine what you are legally entitled to based on our findings. Next, we negotiate with the insurance company in an attempt to secure the compensation you deserve. In some cases, we pursue a lawsuit.
Your San Jose motorcycle accident attorney will decide how best to pursue your claim. Making this decision involves determining what the accident cost you.
- Lost wages. After an accident, you may not be able to return to work. Unfortunately, this means lost wages for you. Proving that the other driver was at fault for the accident may mean recovering these lost wages.
- Medical bills. Motorcycle accidents almost always result in injuries, whether minor or severe. This means that a motorcyclist is likely to end up with a lot of medical bills.
- Pain and suffering. Sometimes personal injury cases will involve compensation for physical pain and discomfort. Securing compensation for mental or emotional anguish is also a possibility.
Get the Help You Need From a Trusted San Jose Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
At Needham Kepner & Fish LLP, we understand the difficulties motorcycle accident victims face. That is why we offer free consultations for victims who are looking for answers and help.
Further, you can work with a San Jose motorcycle accident lawyer from our firm on a contingency fee basis. This means you pay us nothing unless we secure your compensation. If you want to learn more about our services, contact our office at (408) 956-6949 or send us a message online.